The Greenedge Innovative Training Network offers 15 fully funded PhD positions for Early Stage Researchers (ESRs)
The host organisation appoints each eligible researcher under an employment contract. The duration of the contract is 36 months. The ESR fellows are expected to join their host organizations starting from September 2021 (estimated). The ESR is covered under the social security scheme that applies to employed workers within the country of the host organization, or under a social security scheme providing at least sickness and maternity benefits in kind, invalidity and accidents at work and occupational diseases, and covering the researcher in every place of implementation of the project activities.
The Living Allowance amount is €3,270 per month (basic gross salary). This amount is then multiplied by the correction coefficient applicable to the country where the ESR will be hosted.
A Mobility Allowance contributes to the private expenses of the researcher due to their mobility. The amount of the mobility allowance amounts to €600 per month.
A Family Allowance of €500 per month will be paid should the researcher have family, regardless of whether the family will move with the researcher or not. In this context, family is defined as persons linked to the researcher by (i) marriage, or (ii) a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognised by the national or relevant regional legislation of the country where this relationship was formalised; or (iii) dependent children who are actually being maintained by the researcher.
The family status of a researcher will be determined at the time of their (first) recruitment in the project and will not evolve during the project lifetime.
Rules for applicants
- Early-Stage Rule: applicants should be, at the time of recruitment by the host institution, in the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree. This is measured from the date when they obtained the degree, which would formally entitle them to embark on a doctorate.
- Mobility Rule: at the time of recruitment, the applicant must not have lived in the country where the position is offered for more than 12 months in the previous 36 months.
- PhD Rule: once selected by the GREENEDGE consortium for the ESR positions, the applicants must apply for the PhD program at the respective recruiting sites.
- Priority List: applicants can select up to 3 Individual projects (listed here below). The hiring process will take into account the priority specified by the applicant.
- Application deadline: May 31, 2021.
How to apply
The applicants must fill the online application form, uploading the following documentation:
- ID: Xeroxed copy of a valid ID (passport);
- CV – Europass format
- Academic record: BS and MS exams with scores (list)
- Personal statement (e.g., one page with background & motivation)
- Reference letters from two academic/research supervisors (this is the preferred option. If not possible, please specify their emails in your CV and we will contact them ourselves).
- ESR projects: selection of up to 3 projects, in order of preference
- Proof of eligibility
- Recommended: Master’s degree certificate
- Optional: a certificate of equivalence (to a EU 5-year MS degree
The 15 individual ESR projects you can apply for
ESR1: Elastic allocation of edge computing resources in EH-MEC networks (host: UNIPD)
ESR2: Hierarchical learning for the online control of edge network protocols (host: UNIPD)
ESR3: Edge network function activation and placement via neuro-inspired algorithms (host: UNIPD)
ESR5: Energy-efficient edge computing for sustainable metropolitan areas (host: CTTC)
ESR6: Energy-efficient federated learning at the wireless network edge (host: Imperial College London)
ESR7: Energy-efficient coding and modulation for wireless edge learning (host: Imperial College London)
ESR9: Intermittent computing for the extreme edge in beyond 5G networks (host: KUL)
ESR10: Edge computing and communications for Light-based IoT (LIoT) (host: OULU)
ESR11: Distributed intrusion detection system in a constrained edge context (host: CEA-List)
ESR12: Mobility aware communication, computation and caching-based resource allocation for MEC (host: CEA-Leti)
ESR13: Edge operational intelligence for critical infrastructure management (host: Worldsensing)
ESR15: Distributed ML for radar localization with multiple nodes (host: TOSHIBA)